Wednesday, August 20, 2008

School is in!

I can't believe this is my first homeschool post of the new school year!
We officially started school on August 4th. The girls were eager and excited to get back into the learning mode. That makes me very happy.

I spent a lot of time in the spring picking out curriculum and planning for this year. I feel like the girls will be challeneged in good ways this year. Now that we are in our 3rd week it is nice to say that all of the choices are working out pretty well.

Here is a few highlights--(For those interested)

Math
We are using two curriculums for each of the girls. I love the Singapore math. It really focuses on the arithmetic and problem solving side of math. There is a lot of drill in each section which I like, but once you get to the next section you don't get too much review. So rather than hope they remember it we supplemented with other programs. Sarah is also using Horizons math. Emily is using BJU math.

Writing
We are using Writing Tales (1 for Sarah and 2 for Emily). This is a series written by a Homeschooling mother. I love her approach to teaching. It is a great way to blend writing, grammar and some spelling together. The girls really like it so far.

Science
We selected Apologia Zoology 2 Swimming Creatures of the Fifth Day
Just started this week and so far, so good. We are taking a notebooking approach and the girls like that very much.

History
Story of the World 1
We will begin this tomorrow and I am very excited. I like the approach the book takes and enjoy finding resources from the library.

There are many other things we are doing, but I am most excited about the ones above.

We enjoy homeschooling the girls. Today was a very rigorous day and we accomplished a ton. I like those kind of days. Pray for us as we work to educate 2, while entertaining 2 more. :)

Emily- 4th grade
Sarah- 2nd grade

5 comments:

carole said...

WOW!!! MOM

amy said...

Look at all those books!!!!!!What a fun challenge to educate your kids. I envy you. Have fun.

Sherry said...

Have a fantastic school year. Love your new books.
Have fun learning.

Love, Grandma

Anita said...

That's a lot of books! I think home schooling would be great...I wish I could have home schooled my kids. It wasn't the thing to do back then. I'm showing my age, I know. You have very pretty girls!

Kami Gimenez said...

I love all of your books and plans! Have a great school year!